Sunday, January 27, 2013

Ridiculously Icy

Overnight brought rain with temperatures just below freezing.  A majority of church services and afternoon activities were cancelled or postponed so folks wouldn't feel compelled to try to drive.  I saw cars unable to drive back up their driveway because of ice and the slope.

So I got around and headed out to the trails anyway...partly because I didn't workout yesterday but also just to enjoy some time outdoors.

The streets were crazy slick.

I had worn some grippers on my shoes and did OK while hiking but slipped a bit.  On a more sloped portion of the trail, it became impossible to get up the grade.  Even the rocks were covered in 1/4 to 1/2 inch of ice and provided no usual traction.

By traipsing through the woods, I gained better traction and was amazed by the white footprints that resulted from the crunched ice.

Made me think that screw shoes would have been the best solution for today's run and I'm not sure why I didn't take time to prep a pair like I've usually done in past years!



4 miles for today so 40 for the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment