Sunday, April 29, 2012

Getting Serious

I've been anxious to get in some longer runs as I build to the 50 miler on June 23.  I planned ahead today and carried some food in a drop bag that I could access every 5 miles.  So after the initial 2.5 miles to get to my loop, I took off hoping to make myself dizzy by repeating 4 or 5 loops.

I drained the handheld water bottle during each 5 and could also refill it near my drop.  I used my homemade gel during laps two and four and peanut butter/jelly sandwiches and salted potatoes at the start of laps 3 and 4 and also on the way home after 22.5.   The stretch between 15 and 20 was when I felt the strongest and ran very well there but during the 4th lap I felt more like walking and chose to finish feeling more upbeat rather than slog through another lap merely to reach 30 miles.  I will likely get out for a recovery walk this evening for a total mileage day that exceeds some of my weeks last year!  Still time to build the long run and feel ready for the third week in June.

25 miles running this AM. and 3 in the evening so the total for the week is 93 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment